Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Take-out...errr, cake...out??


What's this?!!



I ordered sweet and sour chicken....not chocolate cake with strawberry filling!




Wait!

Chocolate cake?

Sweet!




So yesterday I had a stroke of pure genious! I thought to myself...cake is delicious....chinese take-out boxes are adorable....hmmm....let's bake some cake in them! And now you can too! :) Here's what you need:

Your favorite cake recipe (or boxed mix)
Your favorite filling (about a cup or so)
Frosting (anything delicious...about 2 cups)
Bismark filling tip (if you want to fill your cake)
Non-stick cooking spray (or whatever you prefer to use for greasing the insides of your boxes)



Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and prepare your take-out boxes by spraying the insides of them, or greasing the bottom and halfway up the sides with whatever method floats your boat. Place them in a large cake pan or on a cookie sheet.



Step 2: Make your cake batter...



Step 3: Laddle your batter carefully into your boxes. Start off with about 1/2 C. in each one and then divide the remaining batter as best you can. It's not an exact science...no one will compare who has the bigger cake. They'll all just be stoked to have cake in an adorable take-out box!



Step 4: Carefully wipe any batter that splashed or dripped on the sides or flaps of your boxes. I was super messy. Nothing new.



Step 5: Place your cakepan of take-out cakes in your oven and turn it down to 350 degrees. Time these babies for 15 minutes. Turn, and bake for 10 minutes more. Check them, if a knife or cake tester comes out clean...you're golden. If not, bake them a few minutes longer.


Step 6: Cool completely! I know it's hard. Really, I do. But it's worth it!



Step 7: FILL!!! I used Wilton's bismark filler tip from my cupcake decorating set and piped some organic strawberry preserves into the middle of my cakes...yummy!



Step 8: Frost those puppies! I made a simple chocolate buttercream frosting, but anything would be great--mix it up!



Step 9: Share the delicious, diabetic coma-inducing, adorable love!



These would be great if you made a nice vanilla cake and filled it with a fluffy vanilla buttercream (maybe with a bit of orange zest in it!) The possibilities are endless! Thank goodness I have a ton of these boxes left!


8 comments:

Monica said...

Well what can I say... ur super woman! Love ya

Anonymous said...

Such a great idea....I love it!! I'm totally gonna do this, not sure when yet but I'm thinking an adult birthday party would be a blast.

Leslie

Elizabeth (& Dan) Spalding said...

Did you know that you can get those Chinese take out boxes at Michael's? They have some fun designs! I've seen a lot of fun things you can do with these lately. Very fun!

lacy myers said...

Ooooh...I didn't know you could get them at Michaels! That's awesome. I got mine in bulk at Cash 'n Carry....wonderful store but I had to buy 50 of them..haha! But it was a ton cheaper than getting them at the international foods store.

Naomi Mahn said...

You are so awesome! Love it!

TheFoleyFive said...

how freaking awesome is THIS?! it reminds me of amy karol's post on cake in a jar...http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2007/12/cake-in-a-jar-s.html...
such a rad idea.
and about cash n' carry...we have one here and good grief I could go nuts in the coffee/cocoa aisle!!! come to chico lady!!!
pl l l e e e a a a s s s e e e?!

lacy myers said...

I seriously need to come visit you. REALLY BAD!!! I will talk it over with the Hubs and figure out how/when it might work :) Miss you more!

Anonymous said...

Lacy, you amaze me with your talents!! Steven is lucky to have you.. I just discovered your blog and have it bookmarked. Love you,
"Aunt" Sharon :-)